Sunday, July 18, 2010

Concept Mapping Online

Concept mapping is a great way to brainstorm, organize information, etc. The website bubbl.us allows you to create concept maps online. You can create your concept map, add text, change colours and connect information bubbles and overall get a great, effective looking concept map. But for some reason I do not like this tool. I am quite technologically literate and found this an easy task, except for the fact that it took me AGES to do. I like using concept maps in the classroom. I believe they are an effective teaching strategy but I don't think they should take forever to complete.

Maybe in an upper primary classroom the students could use this tool as they would be more comfortable using computers and computer programs. However, I do NOT recommend this tool for lower primary. If I was to use this in an early years classroom, however, I would write up a concept map on the white board (collaboratively) and then create the concept map myself to print out and place on the wall for future reference.

This is only my opinion though! Happy blogging all =)

I have left a comment on Teagan's blog about the use of concept maps in the early years classroom. You can read it here.

Upon further reflection I do believe this tool would be valuable to use. Although it is time consuming, you could get students to draft their concept maps on paper and create them using this tool. The students would then be more engaged in the learning as it would be a fun way to implement a usually standard learning experience. =)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ash,

    I agree, however, I think the students in my class would be capable of making a concept map if the mentor teacher modelled it to the students first. I think young children learn best by practice when working with technology, and concept maps are a great way for young children to organise their information. I think a great idea would be at the start of a unit to gather what the students already know about the topic into a concept map!

    They are so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee,
    I agree with everything you say. I love using concept maps in the classroom. They are a great way of gathering prior knowledge. But i think it would be just as effective to have the students write their own and colour them and add drawings. This just seems like a long activity just for gaining prior knowledge!

    ReplyDelete