Monday, August 16, 2010

Image Manipulation and Images Online

Image Manipulation:


Image Manipulation is such a great way to teach learners about visual literacy, how images are manipulated to create certain viewpoints or to evoke certain emotions. By actually getting the students to manipulate their own image they will be engaged in the learning and have the opportunity to share their work with others. I would definitely use this tool within the classroom.

Images Online:

Using images throughout the learning process is a great way to engage students in their learning. These days it is SO easy to find images of almost ANYTHING on the internet. However, you do have to be careful of what students type into the search box (although I do believe that Education Queensland have a ban on search words that are inappropriate or insensitive).
Images can be used within the classroom to enhance learning when discussing a new topic: I started a unit on droughts with a year 7/6 class last year and had pictures of drought areas in Australia in a presentation while I was introducing drought to the students. This made the students extremely engaged (I don't think they ever sat so still and quiet in the whole time I was there).
They could also be used for students to make their own presentations more interesting, to learn about visual literacy, to enhance understanding and so, SO much more.

=)

After reading Renee's blog on this same topic, I left a comment on privacy issues with uploading photos on to the internet. You can read my comment here.

No comments:

Post a Comment